11-20-2018, 06:23 AM   #40
eau_rouge
Germany
Rep
Drives: Alpina B3 G21 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
The interior is not really any worse than a lower end BMW.

If you don't think that electric is the future for powertrains, you are in complete denial.

Tesla has come this far with no novel battery chemistry. They are already good enough for a lot of people in the US, which means they are more than that for most of Europe. Billions and billions of R&D dollars are being spent on batteries and supercapacitors. The next breakthrough will come and it will make ICE passenger cars obsolete.

I am an M car fan, but this is undeniable. You might change your story if you've ever driven a car with a good EV powertrain.

If you can't wrap your mind around Tesla, fine, but Porsche will show you the way also.
Dear Sir, I work in the automotive industry and have attended numerous powertrain as well as EV congresses and keynotes from suppliers, manufacturers etc. The current battery technology is not the right solution - but you'll see once you dig deeper.

I had the possibility to drive them all - Model S, X and 3 as well as the BMW hybrids or i3. I think it is something that you can use in the city, because you have the infrastructure and everything else. But please dont tell me that China, India or Brazil will have an infrastructure ready for EV in, lets say 10 years. Even the US is struggling.

I don't know what you want to tell me with "when it is fine for the US, it definitely is for most of Europe" but that's definitely a sentence that only a US citizen can say. As much as I love the US, many people there are diluted. For the most part, the US is no half as much developed as Europe. A country without any regulations for cars NOx or CO2 emissions, neither have something like TÜV (which allows the car every 2 to 3 years to be in good condition to drive on these roads) can't be the standard.

I am excited for the Porsche project. But the car will be so much more advanced from a EV-powertrain perspective than the Tesla, it is even hard to compare.
2005 E46 M3 S54 - TS/GN5TT - 6MT
Appreciate 1