08-31-2011, 02:09 AM   #241
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
Swamp, "we" keep talking from real life using a combination of actual dyno charts input into CarTest, shift times from vBox entered into CarTest etc., then simulating the results. We are also talking our own Mexico runs that have the same results. So far, the CarTest results perfectly match the real life results we've seen. You haven't offered any simulations or any real-life data other than stock cars in controlled environments with professional drivers. When you double the horsepower, I'm telling you that everything changes. I'm sure you're mulling over the data posted above and looking for something wrong. It will be interesting to see what you come up with.
Sorry been super busy with work and life outside work as well.

Please start another thread. A good topic might be "the importance of DCT for drag racing" or something along those lines. I promise I will have a closer look at your results and reply with my own simulations.

One point does immediately stand out though. Your losses are almost for sure incorrect. Incorrect based on real world validations as well as text book values. Run your losses with a standard power car and see how far off you are from the best reported magazine times! If your losses are off (too high) but results are right then you are right for the wrong reason and thus a likely conclusion would that true power is actually a bit higher than your input power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
BTW, I don't think the accepted science of trap speed isn't as universally accepted as you think. I was at an NHRA drag race last year and asked one of the top fuel drag racers this exact question. At first he laughed and then added that everything from shift speed to gear ratios affects the trap speed. So just to satisfy my own curiosity, I ran CarTest simulations on a bone stock DCT modifying nothing but the final drive ratio from 1.50 to 3.62. CarTest predicts a 7MPH trap speed difference between these two ratios. How is this possible if gears don't make a difference in trap speed?
You are surprised that a 200% change in final drive makes a 7 mph trap speed difference? What would a 200% change in power do? That is the real question. I've never said gearing and shift speeds do not matter because they do. However, no one in their right mind would alter a FD in a street (or drag) car from 3.62 to 1.50. Both gearing and shift speeds (and a variety of other factors) play a minor role compared to power for both times and traps. Power to weight is what we call a "first order effect" whereas most other factors are 2nd or 3rd order or less meaning a similar relative % change in those items will have a significantly smaller effect on results. It is basic physics...
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0