View Single Post
      07-13-2023, 01:37 PM   #3
CHSe92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Currently I have an E92 DCT but came from a 987.1S. The M3 is far easier to jump in and go fast more quickly and confidently especially with a DCT.
Both cars need some improvements to be more reliable and comfortable on track including managing heat and fluids but the inherent issues with the M97 engine in the cayman always were in the back of my mind (think oil starvation and bore scoring - NOT really IMS). Whereas I’m more confident pushing the M3 harder without the fear or concern of grenading the engine

In general “BMW tax” is nothing compared to Porsche parts prices however the cayman really wasn’t all that bad.
The ability to bolt on parts from other models without any modification was great - GT3 suspension components and shifters and Porsche cup shift cables etc

Despite it being mid engine it was incredibly easy to DIY. You can easily access nearly every side of the engine so for example a belt service only took 10 minutes, AOS, plugs and coils, exhaust modifications, engine/trans mounts and shift cables were all pretty simple on jack stands in the garage

If you have the Porsche itch, I’d say go for it. It’s not a bad dip into the brand
But for me, I don’t miss the cayman now that I have the M3
Appreciate 2