03-25-2019, 02:36 PM   #6
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Is the Chevrolet SS sedan down there in that range used? It's one of the few truly daily-practical cars I've driven recently that felt truly special, and one of two (2) 4-door sedans sold with an NA V8, RWD and manual transmission in the past 8 years (if you knock that down to 5 years, it's the only one)

The LS3 has nice torque for real-world situations and it's not so nice or fragile you'll feel bad about crapping it up in a Chicago winter. I have several discerning car friends who LOVE theirs and would otherwise never go near a GM product, but it truly was an even-better E39 M5 if you ignore the taxi cab exterior (Which can have its upsides). The steering is quite good for two ton car, every bit as good as any big-body BMW. The back seat is MUCH better than the E90M, as opposed the E39M with its ginormous front seats that eat a ton of knee room the SS has sortof-normal front seats so the rears are big and the rear door openings nice and wide.

If you're keeping the S2k it's different enough from that experience to be a new car. Honestly the engine in the E90M reminds me most of the 2.2 S2000's...just two of them strapped together. Very similar fizzy fun high-RPM engines but you have to be in the right gear...the right gear is just one gear higher than the S2k for most real-world situations because you don't need 400hp that often

Something to think about.
I've always loved the SS's. I've yet to drive one, but I love the concept and minimal styling that gives nothing away. My wife thinks they are just a "neat Camry" by looking at it.

I think you can get an automatic at about the price requirement, but I think you're going to need to tack on another 20%+ more to get three pedals. They hold their value well. I mean hell, look at the Pontiac G8 GXP 6MT. Those things are still pulling their weight in price despite there being a newer, better version available (with a car company that still exists to boot).

I wouldn't mind having one if the price was better. At that price point and genre of car, my money goes towards a 2nd gen CTS-V if big car, four doors, RWD, and three pedals are on the short list.
Appreciate 0