View Single Post
      07-14-2007, 04:52 PM   #49
MPowerTastesDelicious
Registered
Rep
Drives: Honda S2000

wow, this is really sad

I can't friggin believe this. I actually had to register to explain the reason for added weight generation after generation. Remember when the E30 M3 was first introduced. It was a homologation special that was lightweight and truly featured racing components such as suspension and engine technology. From what one person is saying in this thread, they believe that the e92 m3 should weigh as much as the e30 m3... (I made a stretch to show better the difference between generations). With each generation, electronics, luxury, and size increases. Why? Because there is demand for it. Do not forget the added weight of safety features. Suspension parts are beefed up for better handling and ride at the cost of added weight. All weather tires and run flats will add weight. The e92 is larger than the e46. FACT.
"Wheelbase is up by 1.4 inches; length is 2.2 in. greater; width is up by fully 3 in.; and the new models are 0.8 in. taller. These increases in exterior dimensions translate into enhanced luxury and comfort equipment, and greater passenger and cargo space: Shoulder room, front head room, rear knee room, and EPA passenger compartment and trunk volumes are all up, as shown in the table below. Yet there's not a hint of the 3 Series abandoning its tradition of compact exterior dimensions; and despite extensive new content, weight is up by less than 100 lb" (http://www.autospectator.com/modules...hp?storyid=825).
Interior volume IS up and cannot be said to be negligible, so is trunk space. I can go on and on, but this post is gigantic, i'll continue later if i have to. Please understand that I agree, I wish each following generation is lighter and more powerful and more enjoyable to drive (the last two are what the e92 m3 is). But I can also understand that there is a marketing niche for a model that goes in between hard-core racer and 335i luxury with very decent power. The E92 M3 CSL, if or when it comes will take on the E30 M3 or the 3.0 CSL's racing heritage.
Appreciate 0