View Single Post
      03-07-2018, 01:47 AM   #28
0_to_60
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budge View Post
I'm convinced that NO ONE is participating in this thread anymore. But I'm going to give some advice anyway so that the next person won't have to struggle the way I have.

The reason why the alternator in the M3 is held in so incredibly tight at the bottom is because there is a bushing that compresses when the bottom screw is tightened. It took a pry bar and rocking the the alternator back and forth TO THE RIGHT for a long time before it finally came out. As far as I know, there is no way to loosen the bushing while in the vehicle.

But then, it's just as hard to put the alternator back if the bushing on the new alternator is toward the center. You need to knock that bushing outward until it's flush. Then the alternator will slide back in and the bushing will pull itself tight when you tighten the bottom bolt.

I really hope this helps someone else. I appreciate that y'all took the time to write a walk-through.

There is no bushing on the alternator, it is literally metal, there is no way you can push anything. I know exactly what you are talking about, i have seen it on other vehicles, on power steering pumps.
Appreciate 0