Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
I would guess that just the new Hoosiers would give you the time difference. The other tires you've been running do not compare.
From what I recall, I don't think this is his first set of the Hoosiers.
In my experience, it's difficult for some folks to get everything out of a new set of Hoosiers the first couple of times. A lot folks have to work their way up to trusting the available grip. YMMV.
Fundametly, learning is not linear.
Specifically, learning to go fast at NYST is a process.
Almost every turn is blind.
Almost every turn has an on-camber line and off camber line. This is done to drain water and the track is very good at not pooling water.
Every car has its own fast line and that line is not obvious.
Most drivers can get to 1:40 with capable cars, but not a lot of 3500Lbs cars can go below 1:40, because 18 turns require tossing the car, something that is hard to do with 3500Lbs

Most people, including myself, don't have access to suspension engineers or pit crew to adjust things.

So... this is why it is not one factor, but a culmination of adjustments that I systematically changed during this summer and previous summers.

Here are the specific factors that helped with 1:35 and what I have done this season track days including Friday:

Friday
1. Cool day - good for the supercharger
2. Sunny - good for track surface temp
3. New brake pads
4. New Hoosier set

During the 2019 season
1. Clicking the JRZ +1 trackdays ago front and back to the stiffer fast dumping yet.
2. Rebound to half way (12 clicks) slower than last year
3. Adjusting the slow dumping -1
4. Raising the JRZ nitrogen PSI from 200 to 250
5. Practicing going slow on the straights and fast in the corners on high gear to learn momentum
6. Practicing with the DSC off, going a bit slower (1:38-1:40) to feel the car better.

We can call this "learning to trust the Hoosier grip" but the real issue is "how" do you learn to trust the grip?

You can also say in reasonable certainty that after three years I am a better driver, but again what are the specifics that make one a better driver? Most people I have met at the track are still trying to break 1:42s

The next thing I am trying is to adjust the sway bars. I moved the rear Hotckins to the third and stiffer hole to see if I can get the rear to swing out a bit better. The fronts are still on the third hole which is second softest. I may move it to the second (stiffer) hole but not before I see what the rear is doing.

It is all very interesting to figure out....
Appreciate 0