05-08-2016, 08:10 AM   #7
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadmcmichael View Post
There are no definitive numbers, but failure rate seems to be about 1% (arguably). I think you would be a lot less likely to have an issue if you purchased a car with at least twice as many oil changes as BMW recommends. I also run 0W 40 Mobil 1 because one theory is that the stock molasses thick oil doesn't flow well into the too tight tolerances of the rod bearings. Some of the oil analysis supports this with decreased levels of rod bearing metals with the Mobil 1.

There is something to be said for changing out the rod bearings as preventative maintenance if the car has a boatload of miles. However for the rest of the cars out there, I don't see that changing these out with after market solutions solves anything. I haven't seen evidence that these "new" rod bearings/bolts are any better than what BMW put in the car. Seems like the money people spend on a prophylactic bearing swap would be much better spent on an extended warranty. Especially a warranty that would cover the throttle actuators, which is a far more likely failure in these cars.
Absolutely untrue. If you believe the issue to be of clearance, as you said, then mileage is irrelevant. Bad clearance can and has affected low mileage cars.
Appreciate 0