03-21-2009, 04:33 AM   #87
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneginee View Post
There is some misconception in this thread that direct injection can "largely" counter turbo lag.
The 335i has a fine engine, definitely not blessed by the same team and requirements that the new M engine will be and it already has nicely mitigated the lag say compared to cars from approximately a generation or two ago. Proof is in the pudding. However, if you read my entire post my contention was that DI, ALONG with a fast shifting DCT transmission, ALONG with other BMW technology (yes such as variable vane turbo geometry) can all work as a system to largely eliminate turbo lag.

Quote:
you are getting carried away here. Let's check the numbers.
Argue with my source I guess. Prof. C. Arcoumanis, "Flow and Combustion in Reciprocating Engines". He claimed 2-3x the rpm for the turbo is feasible with DI.

Quote:
To conclude in my opinion there are only two routes possible for better efficiency, low emissions and high hp
And you are specifically missing the point already mentioned, KERS.

Either way you look at it there is plenty of technology and plenty of development time for the next M3. I'd be willing to place a wager that is will have zero to nearly imperceptible turbo lag.
Appreciate 0