Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaM3 View Post
I just did this DIY on an e90 M3.

I bought the FCP Euro service kit that came with 2 bottles of the Redline MTL.

I filled till I got a small slow very slow drip from the plug and that took up 2 whole bottles.

Is the 2 bottles enough? Or do I need to take it for a drive and order a 3rd bottle? I figure the service kit had everything I needed but now on this thread I'm hearing people are using 2.5L... I should've paid more attention and gotten an extra bottle of this and diff fluid. Even my FCP euro diff fluids 3 bottles only got me as far as a small drip as well.
Was the car level when you drained and filled? I've done this procedure several times but can't remember how much fluid it takes on average. As long as you've filled to where it's dripping out you should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by //steve\\ View Post
For those of us that don't have any of the software tools to properly cycle the trans pump could one simply drain and fill, run the car for 30 seconds, and then recheck fluid level and fill more if needed?

I'm looking at swapping a trans cooler which will inevitably cause me to lose a little bit of fluid.
I think the pump only activates when the oil gets hot so just idling the car won't pump any fluid. When I installed my trans cooler I cycled the pump with this method. A previous time, after filling the trans, I left the trans cover off, went for a hard drive to heat up the oil and came back and topped off. Even if you don't, I doubt that the amount used up in the lines and cooler would get you to a dangerously low trans fluid level.
Yeah car was level on a quick jack.

Anyhow... I got it to the point of the fluid with a slow seep... but nothing gushing like in some of the diy videos I've seen.

Just to be sure I've ordered another bottle of Redline MTL from Amazon incase I cant find any locally over the weekend. So I can top off after driving a bit.
Appreciate 0