04-21-2008, 02:13 AM   #43
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
Y'know, I don't particularly like the placement, size, etc. (I'm not enamored of the four-bys on M cars, either), but love the engineering idea of snuggling them right into the rear cap without having to worry about heat or exhaust system movement. That really is elegant.
This design could have more engineering than meets the eye but the significant growth of the system is not subverted by separating the tips out in the bumper cover. It simply moves the problem to another location.

Quote:
Other than in your mind, I am unaware of any engineering rules dictating that an exhaust system must be contiguous or it's fraudulent.
If you check the definiton of fake you will find many concepts including: deceptive, to make more attractive, etc. In my opinion and in the opinion of countless others who have chimed in on the topic fake is an appropriate word. Sure it does not mean they are not real - they certainly exist. One particularly fake thing about them is the oval shape of the "tips". The actual pipes are round and the tips are oval. The similarities between fake bolt on style tips or other fake body integrated tips available in some hideous body kits and this system are too great to let pass without note.

Quote:
I personally love the idea of that unbelieveable torque curve, but the damned thing is a half-liter short of greatness, in my opinion - at least when installed in something that weighs as much as the M3. Everybody and his brother Sammy has made mention of the part-throttle, everyday driving phenomenon wherein the car comes up a little lacking. This started way back when early drivers found the 335i to be notably more assertive when not really going after it. You and lucid beat them up a bit, but now lucid understands. It's far from fatal, but it's an issue. I'm personally trying to research an off-the-shelf solution that won't cost $10k.
This is something voiced by a very small minority (a couple folks at best) rather than "everybody and his brother". Exaggeration much? I would like to ask Lucid if he "understands". Last I heard I thought his conclusion was still that the numbers do not support that conclusion. Do let us know when you re-engineeer this crucial fatal flaw of the M3s engine. The boys in Garching will be watching your every move.

Quote:
It's fine with me if you want to extol the virtues of a new design in automatic transmissions that is potentially a real step forward, but everyone including you knows that if it doesn't have a clutch pedal and shifts on its own it's clearly an automatic in whatever shape or form.
Strongly disagree. In fact I'll make a poll on this just to see what folks think. You should also state the whole truth rather than a part truth that supports your already weak case. The M-DCT HAS THE OPTION to shift on its own.

Quote:
I don't think you have an appreciation for just how magical a good, torque-convertered automatic can be. They smooth the launch in a way that at least the DSG boxes cannot quite do, they multiply torque for that effortless feel in low speed running, and they allow you an additional option as a driver in that you sometimes don't need to downshift because the torque converter does its job, multiplying torque while allowing you that extra 276.5 rpm you need for a straight pull in the current gear.
I don't deny some benefits of torque converter automatics. However, the increase in losses, massive increase in complexity and extra weight are a few of the big down sides.
Appreciate 0