View Single Post
      08-16-2018, 02:38 PM   #80
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Commuter View Post
Just to confirm, you know that was posted in jest, right?
Nope! I don't know you well enough to have known if you were serious or just joking. Thanks for clarifying though.

Regardless, the video brings up a valid point for discussion. It's heavily slanted towards leveraging the emotions of young employees or those who have never (and likely will never) find themselves in a management role with fiduciary responsibilities to the company.

It's easy for folks to point the finger at "management" as the source of all their woes. The idea that "management" is conspiring to screw employees over and hold wages down just to be d*cks, just because they can, just because of some sick power trip is totally misinformed. My job is singularly focused on making money for the company I work for. That's it. Every decision needs to be grounded in that. Period. Hiring someone for $45,000/year as opposed to $50,000/year is not something I do because I'm a jerk, it's because below $45,000/yr I struggle to find good candidates. I spend more effort recruiting and waste more time training someone who isnt the right fit that I ultimately then have to let go. If I can attract multiple candidates at $45,000/year for a job and I have a hard time picking between 4 top candidates, why on Earth would I pay $50,000/year?

So all my employees can go share salaries to their heart's content. If Shelly is making $45,000/year and finds out Brad is making $48,000/year, she's welcome to come talk to me but her salary is what it is and I'm not going to increase it just because. Not when I had 3, 4, 5 qualified candidates lined up to do her job when I hired her. Not trying to be a jerk, it's just the reality of my company needing to make money. It's why we are all here.
Appreciate 4
King Rudi13154.00
2000cs3502.50