Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
ummmmmm----because it's fun to take a certain platform that you love to it's limit?

You get into a platform and you work that platform as hard as you can. People have done that for decades. Your brilliant observations of Ford Mustangs have not shed any new light on this topic.

I love my E90 M3 and I've pushed it to the limit in every way I can. After a lot of time, money, effort and learning, she's a fast car now. Do I need to hear from you that there are plenty of other better track cars right from the factory? Or that an S2000 can be made faster? Or do I need to hear that a Superlite could kick my ass right out of the box? NO THANKS!! I ALREADY KNOW!!! I like my car, and I don't have any desire to drive anything else.

His passion has fueled his desire to successfully push the limits of this platform to new heights----in hot weather, and probably not ideal track surface conditions. You didn't even give him a hint of props. You just came in here and pissed on his accomplishment.

What are you passionate about? I bet we could easily poke holes in your passion if we wanted.
You missed the point. Right tool for the right job. It's a simple concept.

Why would you take a heavy factory car, with an IRS and an engine that produces minimal torque, and try to make a fast 1/4 mile racer out of it? The logic if flawed.

However, taking the same car, and pushing it to it's limits as a track car sounds perfectly reasonable, and expected.

Or this, a track car that you can still put a license plate on and drive it to work on monday and yet is still competitive? Isn't that taking the E9X M3 to its intended performance limit?

I don't find a 140 mph trap speed impressive unless it's a high 9 or low 10 second car.

If you wanna drag race these cars, and do something impressive, do a standing mile or half mile event and be competitive.

Sure why not take a 1.5L civic and dump a stupid amount of money in it just to run a semi fast 1/4 mile time. It's the same thing, literally.

You don't need to defend the OP, since It's not my intention to shit on his parade. I just don't understand why people drag race this platform. Shit the F80 is a much better candidate for that. Simply sharing my observation and opinion.

Drag Strip Results:
60-Ft: 1.914 seconds <------ why none of this is impressive to me.
330-Ft: 4.942 seconds
1/8-Mile: 7.274 @ 105.51 MPH
1000-Ft: 9.227 seconds:
1/4-Mile: 10.858 @ 140.11 MPH
1/2-Mile: 16.306 @ 166.68 MPH <---- This is pretty bad ass, imagine how much faster this would be if he could manage a 1.4.......

Last edited by Solo_M_Tech; 09-09-2017 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0