Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdeacon88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdeacon88 View Post
just picked up the car from my Indy and spoke with the master mechanic... Fluids were maybe a half a quart off, which wasn't enough to be causing these issues. He ran codes and said there were two codes throwing for clutch "gap" errors in lower gears... I am definitely not using the right words but hopefully someone here knows what that means.

He thinks there's something internally wrong, potentially related to it being so low on the fluid last month and we didn't know how long it had been low. The car is drivable, cant tell at all in higher gears. Lower gears it definitely has it's moments of jerking slightly, especially when first starting and trying to reverse when on a slope.. or when in stop and go traffic it just doesn't feel smooth.

Am I doomed into having to get a used DCT? i guess if the top off doesn't fix it, then it means that it's not the low fluid causing then issues so replacing the pans is a waste...

Or maybe this is all in my head? the codes are concerning.. but sometimes I can't tell anything is wrong and it's flawless... it's just every now and then (warm or cold) the lower gears are doing some weird things.
I really can't see that a low fluid would cause damage before you would get codes thrown
But of course I could be wrong.
The DCT is pretty sturdy and I would go and teach-in the clutch and the other tests that are testing the clutch. With ista-d it is three procedures if I remember right.
Just google BMW DCT reader and see what I am talking about.
I really can't see that the box is damaged from somewhat lower fluid without screaming "error"

If you buy a used box you never know how this box was doing? Or if the owner had a slow leak and drive around like you.

The box does leak a little, that's undoubtedly a fact for a lot of boxes.

I would give the relearn a try before spending real money.
so mine was 4 qts low on fluid when I took it to a second Indy shop.. Unsure when it got that low, but I had it probably 6K miles prior to finding my current Indy that actually checked. No telling how long prior to my ownership that this was happening. Is this type of low fluid supposed to throw error codes in the dash or is this still not critically low to throw dash errors, or would this only show up with a code reader?
I have no idea when low is actually too low.
But if there is less/ not enough fluid in the box that will lead to overheating at some point . The other possibility should be that the pump sucks air and therefore pressure loss.
Both cases should lead to a code being thrown and perhaps limp mode.
I can not see that the box get a damage before one of those things happens.
We know from drivers that track the car that occasionally overheating message didn't destroy the box.

If the Indy knows how much was missing then I assume he has the BMW software To do a filling as outlined by BMW. In this case he should be able to to the DCT "reset".

I honestly would be more concerned that someone puts in a "automatic" gear oil, assuming that the DCT is an automatic gearbox which it is not.
The DCT needs a certain fluid and BMW in the early days replaced the gearbox and cooler and all lines should someone put the wrong fluid in.

As far as I can tell, no one knows how it looks when the wrong fluid is used to top up or even a complete flush with the wrong oil.

Did someone in your area that has the BMW software and can do a relearn -reset for you and go from there.

My box is supposed to be a new box replaced by BMW a few thousand miles ago and it is also a little "jerky" , most noticeable between the shifts from 2nd to 3rd and take off when not warmed up.
I filed this under one of the wonders of modern technologies.

The box should be able to take a beating.
Great information, thank you. This shop should be pretty good, and he's a master BMW tech with a lot of M car experience, but you never know, I will double check what fluid they used... just in case. he did hook it up to the computer and did a reset and that's when he said their were two errors or whatever saying something about a clutch gap, but I am so ignorant I didn't know what to ask.. It's perhaps OK and I'm just paranoid, but the part that made me think something is off is when I try to reverse backwards on a slight incline, it requires a decent amount of throttle and it feels like the clutch isnt fully engaging, lots of 'rubbing' but not syncing up that easily.. perhaps it's salvageable with a new gasket and pan.. but I guess I need a true e9x expert to make sure prior.

here's the fluid that they have used today..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0