wfdeacon88
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdeacon88 View Post
just picked up the car from my Indy and spoke with the master mechanic... Fluids were maybe a half a quart off, which wasn't enough to be causing these issues. He ran codes and said there were two codes throwing for clutch "gap" errors in lower gears... I am definitely not using the right words but hopefully someone here knows what that means.

He thinks there's something internally wrong, potentially related to it being so low on the fluid last month and we didn't know how long it had been low. The car is drivable, cant tell at all in higher gears. Lower gears it definitely has it's moments of jerking slightly, especially when first starting and trying to reverse when on a slope.. or when in stop and go traffic it just doesn't feel smooth.

Am I doomed into having to get a used DCT? i guess if the top off doesn't fix it, then it means that it's not the low fluid causing then issues so replacing the pans is a waste...

Or maybe this is all in my head? the codes are concerning.. but sometimes I can't tell anything is wrong and it's flawless... it's just every now and then (warm or cold) the lower gears are doing some weird things.
I really can't see that a low fluid would cause damage before you would get codes thrown
But of course I could be wrong.
The DCT is pretty sturdy and I would go and teach-in the clutch and the other tests that are testing the clutch. With ista-d it is three procedures if I remember right.
Just google BMW DCT reader and see what I am talking about.
I really can't see that the box is damaged from somewhat lower fluid without screaming "error"

If you buy a used box you never know how this box was doing? Or if the owner had a slow leak and drive around like you.

The box does leak a little, that's undoubtedly a fact for a lot of boxes.

I would give the relearn a try before spending real money.
so mine was 4 qts low on fluid when I took it to a second Indy shop.. Unsure when it got that low, but I had it probably 6K miles prior to finding my current Indy that actually checked. No telling how long prior to my ownership that this was happening. Is this type of low fluid supposed to throw error codes in the dash or is this still not critically low to throw dash errors, or would this only show up with a code reader?
Appreciate 0