02-17-2020, 12:29 PM   #7
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i & 11 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScytheM3 View Post
Hey guys

I was actually about to post all of this as a question for advice on a potential diagnosis, but I figured out the issue and come to share my findings in hopes to help you all and keep you out of danger!

Today I was on the freeway and suddenly heard a flapping sound under the passenger side. I got off the freeway and noticed the sound's frequency correlated with the car's speed and was independent of rpm (thank goodness).

I took surface roads home and noticed the sound starts at 30 mph. I get home, get the car on ramps and I don't see anything apparent. So, I start my process of elimination and start zip tying plastic panels and fender liners that have some degree of wiggle to them. Each time I tied down a piece I went for a short drive to check for the sound.

Disappointingly, after a few quick drives I noticed the sound was still there and I am completely confused at this point. I just happened to peek over at the inner sidewall of my passenger side front tire and noticed the tread is starting to separate! I was about to shed a tire alligator on the freeway! So, I'm relieved that I don't have some weird rattle that is going to take a bunch of diagnosing, but then again I was thinking wow this could have been disastrous!

Moral of the story: don't ignore rattles, and keep an eye on those tires!

Be safe everyone!
What kind of tires are you running?