View Single Post
      05-09-2017, 09:24 PM   #18
Rajmun340
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP factory order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamen View Post
I don't understand how oil consumption can vary so much from car to car. I get that there are acceptable tolerances and that each engine is a little different, but it's hard to explain why some cars go through more than 10 times the amount of oil than others.
Exactly, it's not normal and it is not acceptable. I have started reading on the topic and there are class action lawsuits against Audi, Subaru and Honda for excessive oil consumption, none against BMW yet but they are a top offender on the list. In the case of Audi they have extended powertrain warranty up to 10 years 150,000 miles to settle the lawsuit. A recall of every engine would cost them far more. The big picture starting to appear to me is that those manufacturers are committing fraud on the consumer and evading responsibility by bumping up their consumption spec numbers to cover their asses. This is exactly was bmw is doing. There is a growing discontent in the public about it and the law has given right to the consumer already and bmw is bunkering up and trying to shift responsibility away to the typical secondary factors. But a car fresh out of the BMW factory floor like mine that required 1 qt at 380 miles on the odometer is no driving style, climate, gas quality or other second order effect.

Last edited by Rajmun340; 05-09-2017 at 09:32 PM..
Appreciate 0