View Single Post
      08-15-2019, 07:37 PM   #11
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
That's right, I could have an off in the Vette if I push harder. I really don't drive it at 10/10ths for that reason -- it's my only car and the repair costs would not be cheap. I run with PTM in Sport 1 so I have a safety net.

Stuff like bumpers and radiators aren't really any more expensive than any other car, but it's when you damage the carbon fiber hood, splitters, and side skirts that you can very quickly take a $1000 oops (like a minor tap of the tire wall) and turn it into $5000+. The body-on-frame construction actually keeps repairs relatively cheap, assuming you can avoid the carbon bits. :-)

I always liked tracking my E90, but the GS is just on a whole other level performance-wise. It feels so visceral.

Again, not looking to do anything now, but just trying to understand if an eventual track car would work. Maybe in a few more years (once the GS is paid off and has depreciated thanks to the C8 being ubiquitous), I'll do a little bit more work to it and use it as a track car that can still be enjoyed on weekend street driving. There's a sizable aftermarket; I'm already eyeing adjustable rear toe links and swaybars.

It sounds to me like you have a really good option in front of you right now. And this being down the line - maybe wait until then to see how it fits in your life.

Also financially - your going to have to put a decent amount of money into an E9x to match the performance of what you already have. If you had sticky tires at COTA your times would be real close to what I've run if not faster (thinking probably faster) - and you have seen what I have done to my car just to get to that point. Would you be happy taking a major step back in pace - or would you need to spend the money to bring it up to at least match your GS? By the time you are ready to make the move I bet the money would at worst be equal to get to the same place - if not in favor of the GS.

I'm not a corvette guy but that GS is a hell of a car. I think I would have a hard time stepping back from that current level - and it's potential - to move into something that doesn't at least start out its equal.
Appreciate 0