08-15-2019, 06:46 PM   #10
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Extra costs for a track car vs dual purpose - its really up to you. You can go off in your GS and damage it just like a dedicated track car. Maybe you won't push the dual purpose car as hard - but shit still happens. You still have the consumables like you mention on either car. What it really comes down to is how far you want to go with the track car. There can be a big snowball effect here - I wouldn't have thought a year ago I would be in a full blown race car build already. Are you more likely to push a dedicated track car harder - it's going to live a tougher life so might see more breakage. You're working with an instructor & it seems like you are the sort that will push hard and keep working to get faster - which can easily mean money in upgrades as you replace parts that hold you back. This is where I think a dedicated track car gets you - that and soft tires...

Something that I believe is also worth thinking about - what car would you enjoy the most on the track? Would you enjoy being able to drive your GS more everyday and then on the track - vs going to a truck DD and occasionally driving your track car? Would you enjoy your GS more than an E92 on the track? It's all about fun - which would maximize it? For me I love my E92 on the track. I could put all the money I'm spending on it into something like my GT-R & have a car that will be ludicrous fast - certainly much faster than I will ever be able to get my E92 to. But to me the E92 is so much fun on the track that it was a no brainer making it my primary track car. Is your GS like that for you?

That's right, I could have an off in the Vette if I push harder. I really don't drive it at 10/10ths for that reason -- it's my only car and the repair costs would not be cheap. I run with PTM in Sport 1 so I have a safety net.

Stuff like bumpers and radiators aren't really any more expensive than any other car, but it's when you damage the carbon fiber hood, splitters, and side skirts that you can very quickly take a $1000 oops (like a minor tap of the tire wall) and turn it into $5000+. The body-on-frame construction actually keeps repairs relatively cheap, assuming you can avoid the carbon bits. :-)

I always liked tracking my E90, but the GS is just on a whole other level performance-wise. It feels so visceral.

Again, not looking to do anything now, but just trying to understand if an eventual track car would work. Maybe in a few more years (once the GS is paid off and has depreciated thanks to the C8 being ubiquitous), I'll do a little bit more work to it and use it as a track car that can still be enjoyed on weekend street driving. There's a sizable aftermarket; I'm already eyeing adjustable rear toe links and swaybars.