07-19-2012, 02:47 AM   #73
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3alabama View Post
1-Swamp can you elaborate on the DCT adding equivelent to 20-50 hp? Is that purely due to shift time, or delivery of power or what?
Plenty of threads here on the forum. There is my simulation work that contributed to this finding as well as some empirical evidence from the guys running superchargers. We had some disagreements on the actual value but totally agreed on principal. The benefit is ENTIRELY due to shift time reductions. It really depends on how fast of MT shift time and which metric you want to compare 1/4 mi, 0-100, 60-130, etc. (more or less how many shifts are involved). If you can't find the threads let me know. I'm also assuming you use google to search the forum, it is the only way to fly. Use booleans and append your search with "site:m3post.com".

Quote:
2-People arguing for the gears are the same people who say the 335 is faster. Gears will give a harder "punch" for a shorter amount of time, just like the 335. 335 will kick you in the back because the torque at a lower rpm is higher and it comes on and off more quickly. WIth gears you FEEL more torque which is accurate but it does not last as long as without gears as you run through rpms quicker.

So looking at average or AUC numbers and looking at MOST point A to point B measures, they both will be pretty much identical given the oem car will have a bit less wheel torque but will be able to stay in a lower gear for a bit longer in each gear providing a comparable average advantage. The average is the same but the gears will "feel" like your pulling harder as you are-but not lasting as long.

All about what you feel-I really think performance wise they pretty much make little difference but if you like the feeling great-if you have 5k (with install) to blow and you like a small bump in the feeling of being pushed back in the seat-than its a fine mod.
Agree, that is restating what I already said.

Quote:
Clearly catless xpipe/HFC and race fuel/vishnu meth is good for 40 hp which destroys the pulley or the gears. Most people fret about these other mods but don't realize the oem tune has a timing target that cannot be reached without higher octane or meth-so focus on that for easy gains
I never said a pulley was THE best bang for the buck and it is probably not. It is pretty good bang for the buck though. I used a pulley because that other fellow mentioned using simulation to prove a pulley doesn't work or some such rubbish.

Isn't race fuel good for about 20 hp itself? It's quite hard to compute a hp/$ metric for race fuel though as the amount you will use is uncertain. It would be interesting to rank all of the common M3 performance mods on a hp/$ basis. Lucid did a very nice thread on a similar topic long ago with weight savings/$. Hopefully we would not have to revisit the topic of do RPI scoops actually add power for such an effort...
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0