12-12-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
luvartcars
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT, 2004 330ci 6MT

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
2004 330ci  [0.00]
Best no-compromise fix for paint chip

My dealer chipped my E90 M3 Silverstone during the 1200 mile maintenance. This is the first and only chip on the car! I know I will inevitably get some chips from driving but it's such a shame to get one at the dealer. My M3 is not a daily driver either so I'm not as likely to get chips from door dings because I don't usually park next to anyone. I may be dreaming but this could be the only chip for a while.

The dealer has told me that they will fix it any way that I want. The chip is very small but right in the middle of the crease on the rear door so it's noticeable. I looked at the chip with a magnifying glass and the damage looks like it is past the clear coat and into the paint, but I don't think into the primer.

My detailer looked at it and thinks that the only way for the repair to not be seen (considering Silverstone) is to repaint the entire side of the car. This is obviously extreme so he thinks I should have the dealer agree to repaint the side of the car in the future, after there are other dings, and they are OK with this.

Is repainting half the car overkill? I'm worried the car will never be the same. On the other hand I've had a BMW dealer do body work on our E46 and they repainted it 3 times before we were happy so I'm nervous about their ability to do a good fix. I also don't feel like experimenting with a localized fix if it's really not a realistic solution. I would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Appreciate 0