10-01-2020, 02:58 AM   #33
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
Having ridden BMW boxers of nearly every generation, I have no idea what poorly maintained examples you've ridden to leave you with that impression. Is a two-cylinder ever as smooth as an a flat or inline 6? No. But do people who love mechanical objects complain about a Porsche boxer engine being rough or do they love the involvement of the engine as part of the enjoyment of the ride? The BMW boxer-twin design hasn't lasted nearly 100-years because it's a bad design, or because millions of riders don't love them. In reality, the original inline-4-cylinder BMWs had more complaints of buzzing and making your legs go to sleep than the boxers.

I had a Valkyrie in my possession years ago and that boxer 6-cylinder was an impressive motor. But the bike was over 200-pound heavier than my 1000cc BMW boxer twin. Would I prefer a Cadillac on an all-highway trip to any o my BMW cars? Hell no. Are they smoother and quieter than my BMWs? Hell, yes. Would they engage me in the way a BMW does? Would they be as much fun once you hit the blue roads? Hell no! Different strokes for different folks.

Have you had a chance to ride any of the bikes you're considering for your trip? Either Ken at Dulles BMW or Bob at Bob's BMW would be happy to have you throw a leg over a saddle, but if you want the best BMW dealer to go with the best motorcycle, see Jeff Massey at Morton's in Fredericksburg.
I'm not the OP trying to figure out what bike to get.

But as far as BMW boxers go, take no offense, the BMW design is inherent for strange torque induced chassis twist. The boxer configuration is supposed to have good primary balance, but I've never witnessed it. Perhaps the secondary harmonics is at issue. The "poorly maintained" examples I tested were new and used examples from Bob's BMWs and Mortons. I worked in Annapolis Junction for nearly a decade and frequented his store quite often. These days Fredericksburg is closer to home. I also tried the K75 when it came out, but it couldn't get me off my Seca 650. And yeah, I love BMW cars as much as you do. I wanted to love the BMW boxer, but other manufacturers designs were better. I've just never found the magic.

As far as the Valkyrie Interstate goes, its part sport bike, part dressed tourer, and had over 100 HP and 100 pound-foot torque 20 years ago when other bikes in its class had 50 to 75 HP (maybe the Venture had more). The engine is so versatile you can short shift it like a big twin or redline it like a multi in-line 4, it doesn't care. The Valk Interstate absolutely laughed at Harley's FLCH, and probably still does; no HOGs have tried to chase me in awhile .

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 10-01-2020 at 05:45 AM..
Appreciate 0