View Single Post
      07-16-2020, 08:02 AM   #98
Mardio
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
That adage is about 35 years outdated. With the advent of computers to aid modeling, design, testing, and manufacturing, vehicles have vastly improved in base-year overall quality. In fact, my opinion is it is critical now for any manufacturer to get its vehicles "right" at introduction based on social media hype. In fact, I'd say buying first year is actually better, because quality issues arise once the manufacturer tries to get cost out of the production in to following production years.

My "first year" E90 is an example I can point to. It's now reached past 14 years and 390,000 miles. Based on my following of issues for the E9X series on E90 post, the earlier versions were less problematic.
But the mid cycle refresh after a year or two always adds more options and sometimes better styling cues. They have to add something to the vehicles to keep them interesting. Also the first year cars rarely have any negotiating room on price since the public all want the latest and greatest thing. Personally I think a mid cycle is the best value in my opinion.
Appreciate 0