armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifty// View Post
Hello, I'm about to buy a M3 as a daily driver & for semi-regular track use (~5 events/year). I'd like to know first which options I should prioritize, and secondly for which mods I'll need to budget.

I've currently got a '07 A4 quattro MT6 with the NA 3.2L V6 engine. Mods: alcon brakes & SS lines, coilover suspension, rear anti-swaybar, center diff, Schroth 4-point harnesses, and 18x8.5" forged wheels with 255/35R18 BStone RE-11's on 'em. These mods + quattro have made it very forgiving and probably a good beginners car. In it, I've done half a dozen 2-day HPDE's, including a winter school.

In terms of mods, I'm interested in the basic track stuff that doesn't significantly compromise daily drivability. The coilovers on my current vehicle are rather firm and pushing the limits (not so much for me, but for my female passengers). This makes EDC seem attractive, but I know the RS4 has a similar system that's leaky and adds a lot of weight, and which most people seem to rip out and replace with ordinary coilovers.

Since I'll be buying used, is there any reason (from a track perspective) to prefer one year(s) over the others? I know about ZCP, but it's a new option and anything after 2010 model year starts to look pretty pricey.

Thanks for any info & apologies if this is all answered in a FAQ somewhere I didn't see.

Seems like your A4 is already a track monster. Have you ran VIR with it?

As far as the M3, you'll definitely need to upgrade the brakes. That is literally the only weak spot on this car. The EDC works great for me at the track even after its been lowered on Eibach springs.
Appreciate 0