View Single Post
      10-03-2018, 09:03 AM   #10
rantarM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
take the front felt off and attach it to the bumper. is there any specific reason why you're opposed to putting a hole or two into the felt? it is relatively durable and won't be compromised with a few holes.
yes, the ducting runs right into the front felt "fangs" you could say. you will need to cut a ducting hole in them if you want to run legit ducting. as stated, fit the felt to the bumper while it is off the car and you might find that you don't need to trim the lip ducting.
mounting the felt will prevent the bumper from flexing and seeming to be wider when it is off the car. this also gives the bumper correct size for fitting the lip.

pickup a few of these (this is a pack of four);
https://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-Vise-Gr...icegrip+clamps

these will help keep things tight as you work on the flexable bumper the felt will add some rigidity, but these were invaluable when fitting body/aero parts. if you're a handy guy, you'll find other ways to use them around the house that you didn't imagine. they come in handy if you have to do things by yourself every once in a while.
I appreciate all of your insight and was finally able to perform the install, although it took quite some doing. I was a bit disappointed with the quality of the lip insofar as the mounting points (i.e., not symmetrical and bolts were not consistent insofar as their direction, heavy with resin and filler, some areas have a black coating that comes off with just the green automotive tape, uneven ducts, etc.). I ended up trimming the ducts so that when the lip is mounted, they terminate directly in front of the felts.

Had I known this, I would have probably acquired a lip from Germany instead, or even a cheap eBay lip. In any case, it turned out well after a lot of work, and even then I decided to fill the gap between the lip and bumper with a small bead of black silicone.

Here are some photos of the final product:
Name:  file-13.jpg
Views: 2160
Size:  288.4 KB
Name:  file-17.jpg
Views: 2137
Size:  365.3 KB
Name:  file-16.jpg
Views: 2145
Size:  316.6 KB
Name:  file-14.jpg
Views: 2144