Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
And with respect to this bearing issue specifically, I have yet to see photographic proof that any of the proposed solutions (thinner oil, WPC-treated bearings, or the VAC coated bearings suggested here) actually result in reduced or eliminated bearing wear. Has anybody who had bearing problems, especially after relatively low mileage, and implemented one of these solutions gone back and rechecked them after the same number of miles to determine whether their solutions are actually providing any benefit?
You probably wont, for some time at least. Not many people will be tearing engines apart a second time to inspect as the miles simply have been racked up yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFKN3 View Post
Good work Tom. Just curious if you pull the engine for this and also whether this requires vanos to be dismantled and re-assembled? Does the bearing replacement fix the problem, or is it still an ongoing concern that needs to be addressed every X miles?

Is it only a large concern for 2007/2008 models and why are BMW NA ignoring what is essentially an engine defect?
Engine remains in the vehicle, the subframe is lowered in order to allow the oil pan to be removed and access the rods. There isn't a specific mileage that can be given, but getting regular oil analysis reports would be a good start in creating a paper trail - while not breaking the bank in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REP1KRR View Post
I'd like to see more examples. Surely you've performed this service more than just this once Tom?
Absolutely. Here's a photo and oil analysis Bearings from a low mileage 2011 M3, at 18,xxx mi. Here's a copy of the last Blackstone report:

reference:

Bearings were replaced with VAC coated rod bearings/APR bolts and oil switched to Torco 10W40 SR-1R Synthetic Racing Oil, as this M3 will see regular track use with the supercharger.

After some miles, we'll have oil changed and analysis performed on next oil change.

Any questions, please feel free to call, PM or email me directly.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0