Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Grey

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelair View Post
I have been getting this same error, in a similar fashion to you, for about a year now. 2012 M3 E93 (cabriolet) DCT. The car is a regular driver, not tracked, no abuse, no launch control. It's still on it's original tranny fluid. 58,000 miles.

When it started, I went to the dealer and they said I needed a software update, which they charged $300 for. They said this would take care of it. After about 3 months it came back again, and would happen at the oddest times, and not during periods of high revs or what would be considered stress on the transmission. I would get it in just regular driving, sometimes stop and go, sometimes on highway, often it would happen when I gave the car a little throttle, such as to pass or to accelerate to enter a highway, and it would always go away within 5-10 seconds.

Took it back about 6 months ago, they said they couldn't reproduce it and not to worry about it.

Just took the car in again this week because it keeps happening, and they took 3 days, called BMW NA, and came back and said it is a bad tranny temp sensor, which is not an expensive part, but it's around $2,400 in labor because they have to drop the transmission to get at the sensor to change it. My extended warranty won't pay for it because it's not considered an "Internally lubricated part" of the transmission.

Dealer also confirmed that the tranny is NOT overheating, that this is just a fault thrown because of this sensor. So now I'm stuck, do I keep the car and just live with it, hope it doesn't get worse or fail in some other way that damages the transmission, or fork over $2,400 to make this [MAYBE] go away?

Really frustrating....
I got the sensor replaced in the bell housing of the transmission, but this didn't fix the issue. It's really hard for them to tell if the transmission is actually overheating or not. Also, you should check the other nearby sensors for similar temperatures before going down this rabbit hole.
Appreciate 0