View Single Post
      09-17-2019, 07:16 PM   #44
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i saw this vid a while back and he brings up some good points.

That video made me cringe so much....
That guy may be a racing driver but there is absolutely no objectivity or relativity in comparison.
His video is about wheter Nordschleife lap times are objective, and 1 thing he says is that there is no official party involved in judging the performance set.
But here's the thing: I've never seen any performance measurements in a car brochure that did have that. So yes it would be better if there was such a thing but there isnt.... on ANY performance data provided by car manufacturers.
And also regarding the weather or conditions: most runs have video footage, and a date, so one can see for themselves.
And I doubt a rollcage will give significant different times on a track like the Nordschleife in cars where it really matters. In theory it can make the body stiffer, but it also adds weight.
The modifications from OEM are usually listed, main point of course being tyres. Without that data, lap time data becomes incredible by the audience, and car manufactureres know that.
And again, pretty much all he says also goes for any other performance data that is used to compare cars. He doesn't describe a system that would give a good comparison that is still somewhat of a measure for what the car is intended to do (they use the nordschleife as it is way more a track that mimics a road than a normal track, also something he forgets to highlight....)
Yes it's not a perfect system, but then again, what is?
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0