12-20-2018, 09:48 PM   #23
Green-Eggs
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
Super cool project. Are you taking the opportunity to use different sized crank main bearing journals rather than BMW spec?
The BMW S65 bedplate locks you in to BMW main bearings. However, there are custom-sized main journals with slightly reduced diameter to give appropriate clearance.

Quote:
What's the approach for the exhaust headers and how will you optimize those?
Here's a picture of Bert's RD Sport headers that came with his stroker. These are a brand new set that replaced my originals. Not sure the details why a new set was given to replace the originals. These are 4-1 design. Bert was told these need to be converted from 4-1 to 4-2-1 for the flat plane engine. You can see from the photos that the headers are made in two pieces and the header portion is about 2-feet long. That will be plenty to remake this section into 4-2-1 wherever it needs to be. Click the photo to enlarge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolley View Post
Who on earth would that be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by serranot View Post
I asked RRT about building me a flat plane engine. I can’t believe this is happening. Timing for me is awful but would buy in another life.
What did they say? I think the whole thing boils down to getting the cams. Did they say they could get the project done?

Quote:
Curious what you will use to run the engine. Can you revise the stock engine computer?
The factory MSS60 has flat-plane tables built into it, but I'm told the firing order doesn't match these cams. I'm also told that there are other tables that allow you to change the firing order. So I don't think it will be a problem. If it is, then we rewire the harness to get the correct firing order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMan View Post
Honestly, if you're going to go all out and build a flat plane engine, you might as well run a standalone engine management system that doesn't hold you back in certain aspects.
Can you elaborate what gets held back? I don't know what Bert has planned. I don't think he even knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but if you aren't stroking it, what is the benefit? (Besides being cool)
Factory crank is 75.2 mm stroke; this one is 81 mm stroke. It's already a stroke with 4.4L displacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serranot View Post
I would think a flat plane crank would be lighter than a cross plane because of the lack of balance weights. For starters.
It should be. Knowing Bert the way I do, I'll bet he will weigh the crank and all the other parts.
Appreciate 0