02-17-2016, 12:43 PM   #40
J. Dub
Bob Saget
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i e92 N54 A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4 View Post
The tank is located inside the fender in front of the door. It's very long and odd shape sort of like a big bladder...gotta take off wheel well liners...I think 3 of them.

It seems common that the pump by the opening area cracks where it leaks. It drips from the crack. My tank looks to be in great shape. I ordered from eBay Febi for 14. It says made in Germany. I'm waiting on it.

I think I can remove the tank...it's the wire holder at the farthest which looks like tie-wrap in a hole. I can break it off and get the tank out. After cleaning, I can just use a real tie-wrap and go thru the hole to secure it.

The tricky part to avoid breaking is the side-marker light holder(plastic with metal spring clip in it which puts pressure to keep it in place...it's tight space w/o taking apart the fender(I didn't). Move the tank out a little so you can put your right hand in the crevice...feel for the light connector facing rear and grab the release tab and lightly wiggle it off. It comes out rather easily.

Another trick I wished I knew is the 3 plastic retainers clips for the liner. There is a small hole on the center you supposed to push it in so that the center piece falls out and now you can use flat-tip to pry them out...I pushed it a little too hard and found 2 center pieces but lost 3rd one in the abyss...gently push them so they don't fly into nowhere land so you can retrieve all 3...first time for everything right? Unless you wanna buy new one. Actually, tooth pick and magic marker could work.
I used multi-meter rod which looked perfect size...tooth pick should be good too to push it in.
Awesome. Thank you