View Single Post
      02-05-2020, 05:19 AM   #4
rTrackM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Very nice! Good to see another cool build underway!

I am confused though----are you ditching the MCS 2-way for a 3-way?

And I would recommend moving away from 12mm studs. Several people who push their E9x M3's hard have had stud breakage issue. Moving to 14mm studs (at least in the front) has helped me (so far). You can do this by either drilling existing hubs out with a Rogue Engineering jig kit to 14mm, or buying Future Classic's 14mm hubs. Or you could consider the Core4 press in studs/hubs. They don't have a 14mm solution shipping yet (they're working on it), but the claims are that the 12mm solution is very tough. Anyway, in your build, I would consider some better solution than the 12mm studs.
Thank you! I have been stalking your build as well! Very impressive. Where did you end up on weight? I am curious where I will be without carbon hood, trunk, and doors. That will be next year most likely...

Yes, I am switching to the 3 way. The 2-ways only have 3 track days and only the street driving is to the shop / track. No daily driving. They are currently listed for sale in the suspension thread if anyone is interested.

I have heard of this breakage issue, but I am getting mixed messages on why this actually happening. Some say it’s the user over torquing or torquing while the hub is still hot, etc. Then on the flip side I have heard of defective product. Is there any evidence on this?