08-31-2008, 04:48 PM   #16
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by synclastica_86 View Post
Um... every single one they make. They won't produce many, maybe 1-200. They'll all be spoken for before the first delivery.

Not really... especially if they treat it like the E46 CSL. They didn't produce nearly enough publicity for the car unlike the nissan GTR. The average BMW buyer (not the enthusists on this forum) doesn't even know the existance of a CSL. Don't trust me? Ask around. If they were to make a halo car... they'd better make a big deal out of it.
You're right, they didn't make enough E46 CSLs. I'm sure that if they would have made ten times as many they would have sold them. But that's still small numbers compared to the M3 and certainly the rest of the 3 series. They just think they can't sell that much, or that maybe they don't make as much on each copy, therefore they don't want to put the effort to build and market many. Maybe they just want to make it collectible in the future?

If they made a big deal out of it I'm sure they would have fans. Look at the GT-R. They could make one that really attacks the 'Ring, set a 'Ring record and have bragging rights. You can't tell me that would hurt sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synclastica_86 View Post
For me, at least, the CSL does have the potential to be a daily driver. It is not that much harsher than an ordinary M3. It is also by no means a lotus like track car. That said, at that price range, I'd go for a porsche or the baby aston.
I didn't exactly mean the ride. I've had harsh rides before and used them as a DD. But, I guess it depends on exactly how they engineer the E92 CSL. I don't think cardboard trunk floors are too practical. If it were stronger yet still light, it would be better for a daily driver. If it could be more practical than the E46 CSL then I'd probably pick it over a GT3 if I could afford one, or rather fit it in the budget.