View Single Post
      08-31-2008, 04:26 PM   #14
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

The CSL, to me, has always been a purist, hard-core car. One that is beautiful to drive, but too raw for a daily driver. Not too many people can justify the money for that. There are a lot of other, cheaper, "weekend" toys to take to the track. Everyone wants one but wouldn't buy, or could justify, getting a CSL.

I could be totally wrong, but my feeling is that BMW is going for the "luxury mass market". (Sounds like an oxymoron, doesn't it?) They plan on selling many M3s. But how many CSLs do you think they would sell? Or more to the point: how many does BMW think they can sell? If the CSL appeals to such a small niche market then I do not think they will want to market it.

By my thinking, I believe it's a mistake -- the CSL would make a good "halo" car, like Nissan's GT-R. It would show everyone what BMW is capable of. (And it would keep the engineers happy. ) They spend money on F1, don't they? The CSL is more of the same thing. Sorta like advertising.

I'd like to have one but I'd probably never get one if they did offer it. I want a daily driver that's immensely fun and rewarding to drive. The M3 fits the bill for that. Even if the driving experience of the CSL is more so, the loss of practicality with the added expense of acquiring one makes it a no go for me.