10-02-2007, 11:04 AM   #22
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
Half the guys who buy them do so partially because the car makes you feel like a hero once you learn to tame the beast,
Thanks for the post Bruce; great examples. This line above about "heroes" definitely makes a lot of sense from a user and marketing perspective. I have read several articles/posts complaining about the new V-8 sounding tamed as compared to the old I-6, which rattled and snarled and so on when delivering max performance. I guess if the engine sounds like it's going to rip itself apart when you step on it, one might naturally feel like one is skillfully controlling something that wants to break loose. (This example is somehow different--and not as striking--than the one you gave above handling though as in that case control is not just perception but is for real).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
Our 997S guy is a fighter pilot, and he has said in regard to those tools in general, "You can have stability or maneuverability. Pick one."

Seems as if that's true for hot cars, as well.
I can see how there would be a trade-off between stability and maneuverability in a plane design. It's tricky for cars though as cars, at a fundamental level, are inherently stable on 4 wheels and the driving situation is not as much a 3D problem as the flying situation. Depending on how one defines the stability of a car, one can argue that a more stable platform--in terms of its ability to maintain contact with the surface for traction--might also be the more maneuverable one.
Appreciate 0