04-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #47
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC919 View Post
Great thread.

I complained to BMWNA as this happened to me after my warranty went out. After about two weeks of stressful negotiating, the dealer gave me a goodwill price that was significantly better than the initial estimate. I have a feeling that we are going to see a lot more of these Throttle Actuator issues on higher mileage e9x V8s as time goes on. If anyone is looking to buy a used M3, it is best to look into whether this work has been done on the car they are considering.

Definitely have your engine checked out. My car threw the code and went into limp mode. Upon restarting the car, everything went away, so I drove like that for a few weeks. It eventually got to the point where it would take several off/ons to get limp mode to go away, which was just a massive pain in the ass. After visiting the dealer they told me what needed to be replaced, however, the car never ran like it had any issues.
They gave you a price on the part or labor (or both?). Unfortunately, I don't think mileage has anything to do with this? Seen them fail way early on too. I'm not saying that this isn't an issue, but as long as I don't have to go through 1 throttle actuator a year, I'm kind of at peace with the S65 (for now).

As you can see, the DIY really isn't all that hard to do. Btw, when limp mode came on for me, it never went away and I read the codes as soon as I got home.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0