View Single Post
      08-24-2021, 12:18 AM   #15
2009550iMSport
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 550i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throatpunch View Post
I really wish the CCC option came with an upgraded screen for the better resolution
I think I might actually know of a solution for this. It’s not guaranteed to work, but I’m almost certain it will.

It would cost around $200.

Basically, there’s this 10-pin LVDS to 4-pin LVDS adapter that you can buy. I know because I had to buy one for when I retrofitted an android touchscreen to my old Mercedes E Class. It looks like this:

Here’s the link:

https://m.aliexpress.com/i/4000893050238.html

Mercedes, BMW, Audi, they all use the same basic architecture, even down to the quadlok for the head units. Its marketed as for Mercedes, but I see no reason why this adapter wouldn’t work with BMW as well. I imagine they only market it for Mercedes because the aftermarket head units for COMAND don’t usually have different style display inputs, so they offer this adapter instead. It saves on manufacturing costs.

My theory is that you could use this adapter with a CIC display. And then you would have a higher resolution screen for CarPlay!

You would then use this adapter to connect to the Mr12Volt’s LVDS cable that would normally plug directly into the back of the head unit. You need this because the LVDS on this 10-pin to 4-pin adapter has a male head, when you need female, like on the back of the CIC head unit.

Link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FAKRA-HSD-L...-127632-2357-0

And then of course you’d need to source a CIC display. There are many on eBay for under $100.

You would be ordering a CIC version of the Mr12Volt kit for this to work. I see no reason why it wouldn’t work with CCC considering the only difference in the two is the display wiring.

*Disclaimer: I am not responsible if this doesn’t work, I’m just an idea man. Try this at your own risk!

Last edited by 2009550iMSport; 08-24-2021 at 12:41 AM..
Appreciate 0