itsnotq
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotq View Post
It clicks and nothing happens. And then I keep trying it'll crank up and start up. So I'm not really sure if it's the solenoid
Perhaps you misunderstand what I wrote or I am misunderstanding something.

If you hear a click or a series of clicks from the vicinity of the starter that is the solenoid being activated. If the solenoid is being activated then your CAS is OK and the solenoid coil is OK. Keep in mind that the solenoid is an electromagnet that closes a switch directing power to the starter. In some cases it also physically moves the starter gear to engage the flywheel.

So, at the point you are hearing the solenoid click, you know the CAS is good and the solenoid electromagnet is good. Then, assuming a good battery, the problem is either the 'switch' part of the solenoid, the starter itself, power from the battery to the starter (red cables) or ground from the engine block to the chassis.

There seems to be a lot of confusion in this thread about what the 'click' from the starter solenoid sounds like. Unfortunately, I cannot help with that other to suggest getting a second person to listen for the source of the sound. This is pretty basic stuff.

Bottom line: most of the time, the problem you are describing is a dying starter. MOST but not all of the time, which is why it is useful to have a clear overview of how the system works.
Oh appreciate you clarifying. Yes I hear the solonoid. I'm convinced it is the starter as it's taking longer to crank. Thank you
Appreciate 0