View Single Post
      08-07-2009, 11:22 AM   #64
The Cthulhu
Banned
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
You can't model two unknowns, and that's why it's all pointless.

A - You don't know exactly how fast the 135i in the original post is. It's not stock, and you don't have any realistic power numbers for it. Even if you've got a chassis dyno run from that very car it's not enough infomation to accurately model it's performance on the road under variable weather conditions.

B - You don't know ANYTHING about the other car. In this case it's an Atom, and it's reasonable to assume that unless something was wrong with it, even a well modified 135i won't even come close.

We don't need models or theories to draw a reasonable conclusion about the outcome of a race between the two.

Now, you lumped the Lotus in with the Atom, and then took issue with the me saying the two weren't the same. The Lotus is certainly a much more track focused vehicle than the 135i is, but it's not even close the performance level of the Atom. Not by miles. The power to weight ratio is about double.

The power to weight ratio of a 135i vs a Lotus is close enough that winning a highway race against one isn't out of the realm of possibility, and it would be wrong to call BS on someone for saying they did. That's simply not the case when it comes to the Atom. It's HALF the weight of the Lotus with as much more more power. It's in a different league altogether, and you're not outrunning it with either of the other two cars.
First off, don't say "model two unknowns", that doesn't mean what you think it does. You can model a shitload of unknowns, that's what modeling is for. Second, you really like to argue... don't you. It's fine to make assumptions regarding the extent of modifications to a car, you're reaching so hard here. I approximated 400 WHP for a modded car, I don't care if you can push more out of it, it's a good high approximation.

We don't know anything about the Atom? If it was on fire or otherwise malfunctioning, you aren't killing it now, are you? You'd be putting it out of its misery... Assuming a realistic high end tune number for the 135i and stock figures for the atom is fine.

When you want to prove that someone is wrong, it's best to take them at their word. In this case, his car has 400 WHP and the Atom is bone stock. Both cars have to be racing or it wouldn't be a kill.

Why do you keep arguing the same thing over and over about what class to lump cars into? I think you just like to argue. We're agreeing on all these points about the Lotus being more of a track car, the Atom being much faster, and so on. You're just squabbling over the most trivial things.

The following statements would be very hard to argue against:

The 135i is a good daily driver.

Lightweight cars built for the track can be used as daily drivers, but make far better weekend cars.

If you cared a lot about having a very fast car, it would be less expensive to buy a used lightweight track car than it would to properly set up a 135i for any type of racing (a monster miata is cheap to buy and cheap to fix, a BMW isn't).

Wanna argue about something? Than stop agreeing with nearly everything I say. It seems like you're taking offense at the use of numerical data and the fact that I consider certain cars single purpose and built for the track. If your car is quiet and comfortable, it isn't a real racecar.

P.S. If you take a picture of someone's car on the road, you already lost. Even if it was some weird slow car you'd never seen before and you beat it in a race... you lost.
Appreciate 0