09-28-2008, 07:26 PM   #13
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
You are prolly correct. Thinking of what you said, I had a thought....

If you installed a one-way valve (or louver!), the car could suck air through the hood vent if it needed to. But when the ram effect of the two front intakes (or scoops) starts to have a positive pressure effect on the intake tract, the louvers would not allow that air to escape through the hood vent.

I would be interested to see your pressure data when you get around to it.

It would be interesting to see a baseline (stock), one with stock config but with scoops, one with stock config but with hood vent blocked, and one with scoops and hood blocked.

I bet if one way louvers or something similar was intalled on the hood, you would see a larger pressure gradient in the intake tract at speed. The scoops may add to it. That would be a good way to see what the hood vent does at speed, and what the scoops do also (in stock form and with blocked (or in effect, louvered) hood vent).

Worth a shot.

BTW, copyright on the louvered one-way hood vent idea!
I am sure they would have used a valve if there wasn't something else keeping them from doing so. Or maybe there is some kind of a primitive valve and we don't know about it. It is hard to think why they wouldn't want slightly more air/combustion in the cylinders. Maybe emissions related. We would need to see some data to know that the hood opening is indeed acting like a vent though at least some of the time. Leaves getting stuck there or what people observed when the car is stationary is not evidence. I'll try to get around to collecting the data soon...