View Single Post
      09-28-2008, 05:30 PM   #11
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
It could be that flow at the hood opening simply reverses direction when the engine demands more air and the cylinders suck/pump more air in. I've been meaning to stick sensors in the intakes and driver around collecting data, but haven't gotten around to it. Maybe during Thanksgiving break...
You are prolly correct. Thinking of what you said, I had a thought....

If you installed a one-way valve (or louver!), the car could suck air through the hood vent if it needed to. But when the ram effect of the two front intakes (or scoops) starts to have a positive pressure effect on the intake tract, the louvers would not allow that air to escape through the hood vent.

I would be interested to see your pressure data when you get around to it.

It would be interesting to see a baseline (stock), one with stock config but with scoops, one with stock config but with hood vent blocked, and one with scoops and hood blocked.

I bet if one way louvers or something similar was intalled on the hood, you would see a larger pressure gradient in the intake tract at speed. The scoops may add to it. That would be a good way to see what the hood vent does at speed, and what the scoops do also (in stock form and with blocked (or in effect, louvered) hood vent).

Worth a shot.

BTW, copyright on the louvered one-way hood vent idea!
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0