View Single Post
      01-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #63
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by py0413 View Post
I would only go with OEM because I had horrible experience with non-OEM windshield in the past.
How so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Rodeo View Post
Disagree. This is a critical safety and structural component of the car; a bottle of cleaner is not. BMW's supply chain is well run; you know you are getting a genuine part and the dealer will use the correct adhesives. There are so many counterfeit products produced today with seemingly high quality but nothing approaching rigorous testing or integrity it is completely worth the $288 or whatever insignificant difference to not have a single bit of worry about whether genuine parts were used.

If my car goes off the track and flips at 100mph, I don't want that to be the time I find out that the dude working out of a van was doing switcheroos with eBay sourced glass to increase his profit margins.
Safety is important. However I think that once you replaced the OEM glass installed from the factory, your biggest concern should be the installer, not the quality of the glass. I don't think A/M glass will shatter into big chunks and kill you. There are manufacturing standards around the world that dictate tempered glass as standard. Given you perform work at a reputable shop, I don't think you should have any worries.

Again, this is only my 0.02 cents
Appreciate 0