Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
I think there needs to be some clarification here:

- Pilkington makes the windshields for BMW, they will have the BMW logo. Let's call this "Factory Glass".
- Pilkington also makes windshields for sale through glass repair shops WITHOUT the logo. It's the exact same windshield. This would qualify as "OEM".
- Other glass makers like Sekurit and PPG make good glass and using these options would also be good
- Aftermarket glass (which should be avoided) is almost always made by Chinese glass makers (meaning that they are of poor quality), but they offer the highest profit margins for the installers. This is why they often push this glass and tell you "it's the same". Plus, it allows them to hit a lower price point and it's easier for them to win business from most people that way.

So for me, I would go with whoever offers the best deal for Pilkington, Sekurit or PPG. That would usually lead to PPG.

My 2 cents.
Good post..there is alot of fear mongering going on here..and while I am the first to say use OEM parts, for glass it really is the same if you go with a reputable aftermarket glass.

Its like the guy who buys the BMW branded techron from the dealer for $30 when you can get the EXACT same formulation in the techron at Autozone for $10.

This knee jerk reaction of "go OEM or else something bad is going to happen" is valid in some cases, but not here.
Appreciate 0