View Single Post
      11-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #68
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post

Look past 100,000 miles though, which helps amortize the initial purchase price of either car, and if a battery replacement is needed for the Tesla, the numbers further skew toward the gas-powered F10. Tesla offers an upfront financing purchase (i.e. it’s wrapped into the car payment) of a replacement battery at 100,000 miles, meaning if the battery depletes past the warranty period, you can have the replacement battery installed for no additional cost when the original one wears out. This is obviously a ploy to prevent sticker shock of a new $10K battery once the original one is depleted, because you’ve already paid for it in the monthly car payment.

So my evaluation of the Tesla offering is that there are some smoke and mirrors to it.
Battery technology is improving yearly. In 10 years batteries are going to be more powerful and cheaper than they are today. Telsa knows this and is making serious money from people prepaying.

Mercedes sees the writing on the wall and is working with Telsa. I suspect many other companies are also. Once Telsa completes their supercharger network, other companies will buy in to share the technology. This is a game changer.
Appreciate 0