Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post

My favorite way to use the 400 5.6 is on a monopod with the Wimberley Sidekick. This combo is light and easy to maneuver. I think it would work great for autosports. Using the Sidekick reduces the need for IS, except at very slow shutter speeds. With no IS, you have to keep in mind that you need to shoot 1/400 or faster or be using a tripod.

I've got a Sidekick, but have never tried it on my monopod. I've got a large ballhead for use on my tripod, but I just haven't thought to try it on the mono.

For light lenses, like the 400/f5.6 and the 100-400mm, I strongly recommend hand holding. Use a default ISO of 800 and you'll have plenty of shutter speed for most situations. You can react quickly when working hand held.

One situation where I do recommend a tripod or monopod is where you'll be in the ready position for a long time and you know where the subjects will be coming from. A race is a perfect example. Soccer, football and other big-field outdoor sports are great for tripods/monopods. I routinely hand hold my 500/f4 with the 2.0X TC attached, but I quickly die if I have to stay in the ready position for long without a brace or resting place. This is why I keep the tripod in the trunk of the car, even though I'll use it for only 1 in 1,000 shots.

Dave