09-11-2017, 08:23 PM   #725
drummer20
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3 Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I would still clear any stored codes and reset all adaptions. I went through the same thing and actually opened up that wire tray and tested every actuator related wire I could, at least as well as I could test it. But my problem was not any wire. It was an actuator that was still bad after replacing the gears. This is when I learned that replacing the gears is a hit or miss. I have 4 actuators on which I replaced gears, and 2 of them were failing when the gears were replaced. 1 works, 1 worked for about 18 months before failing recently, and 2 did not work. Actuator prices are down now. Just buy a new actuator, which is what I did when one of my rebuilts recently failed. I would bother with the gears only as a preventative maintenance matter -- if I had 50-100k miles and no actuator issues and some time to kill, I might rebuild them. If mine was failing, I probably would not bother.
Agreed, I cleared the codes with the DIS and they stayed gone for the first time. I am a little wary about clearing all the adaptions because many didn't seem to relate to the throttle actuator. What is your line of thinking in that respect?

I am not so sure about even doing the gears preventatively now. I did my preventatively at 38k miles last summer and my electronics failed at 45k anyways. It may be that I did them too late in the mileage count to make a difference. Also I was the guy who bought some ICs and even swapped out the 5 FETs and a few other easy to identify ICs (two voltage regulators) on my circuit board and it didn't fix my problem (Although now I wonder if I got that connector on all the way heh) I got two non working TAs with beautiful looking gears and bad electronics. One TA had the odometer gears and the other had the i6 and they failed a month or two apart.

But yea with TAs prices in the 544-650 range it doesn't seem worth it to do gears anymore given the extremely slim chances of a lasting solution. Somewhat ironically, it might be because of the aftermarket gears and electronics refurb shops that the TA prices finally came down.
Appreciate 0