View Single Post
      06-05-2019, 09:24 AM   #3
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
If you're asking from a money standpoint, the fact is that a high mileage E9x M3 is not worth a ton of money now. So, from a financial risk standpoint you're not really risking a whole lot if the engine blows up.

If you're asking from a will-I-blow-up-my-engine standpoint----well, you've replaced a bunch of the standard problem items already like rod bearings and throttle actuators, so now it comes down to the question of, can the block and the original internals handle it. No one can answer that. There are many examples of these engines demonstrating they can do high miles. But high miles and track duty will always be a guessing game with stock internals.

One last thought: If this is your only car and you can't be leaving it at a shop all the time, then maybe I would hesitate because I'm sure stuff will be coming up as you track this aging car. But if you have another car that can be used as a daily driver while this car is down, then it's more palatable.
This

Maybe get something like a Mini Cooper S (2015+) or Golf GTi as a daily driver so you have some kind of backup.

I double-dutied a E46 M3 until it had 180k miles. Then I sold it and it was turned into a full track car. It was then sold again and the owner tracked me down and said he's still loving it! Stock internals except for the rod bearing replacement.
Appreciate 1
MasterP721.00