Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFerrara View Post
Am I crazy for wanting to slowly transform my 117k mile M3 into a more track focused car? I bought the car last summer with 102k on the clock, proceeded to hit NJMP, Lime Rock, and Watkins Glen before I moved to LA and did a 3500 mile road trip with the car. Since then I probably have done 10 track days in SoCal, with Ohlins coilovers,fresh rubber, and new rotors and pads being installed at some point. I have done stainless lines, high temp fluid and had DCT and diff fluids changed when I first purchased the car. Car has had rod bearings and throttle actuators done previously. Water pump, Thermostat, DTML pump and steering rack were some of the items that I've had go bad on my car but was able to fix myself, minus the rack. I'm just wondering if any E92 track veterans have insight on if a high mileage build is a bad idea. I don't think I would go full racecar, but would start with removing all seats for buckets and maybe a half cage, front sway bar, 18's with stickier tires, RK tune and eventually a BBK.

Insights? Advice? All welcome.
If you're asking from a money standpoint, the fact is that a high mileage E9x M3 is not worth a ton of money now. So, from a financial risk standpoint you're not really risking a whole lot if the engine blows up.

If you're asking from a will-I-blow-up-my-engine standpoint----well, you've replaced a bunch of the standard problem items already like rod bearings and throttle actuators, so now it comes down to the question of, can the block and the original internals handle it. No one can answer that. There are many examples of these engines demonstrating they can do high miles. But high miles and track duty will always be a guessing game with stock internals.

One last thought: If this is your only car and you can't be leaving it at a shop all the time, then maybe I would hesitate because I'm sure stuff will be coming up as you track this aging car. But if you have another car that can be used as a daily driver while this car is down, then it's more palatable.
Appreciate 0