View Single Post
      08-10-2020, 10:31 AM   #17
lowkey_domm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3, 2012 E70 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by butte2butte View Post
I've got a set of 2500's front and rear and one track weekend on them and maybe 200 street/highway miles getting to/from track. I pulled them to swap rear rotors this week and can attest, they are noticeably worn. If I stuck with this combo I might get 2 more weekends out of them. That's not to say they don't work well. After a quick bedding session (essex style) they were nearly silent on the street, maybe a light squeal every couple of days but nothing that would draw attention (I rarely have any sounds coming through my speakers so Im able to hear all the little noises this car tends to make).

Do they work on track? Sure I was at Sebring where the straights can get pretty quick and with fresh Endless fluid and brass caliper pin bushings I never felt fade. The pedal response at the end of a 30 min session was the same as the first few min.

HOWEVER, I don't want to eat through pads this often and I do think there is more bite to be had so I'm moving to a front biased set up of DS.UNO in the front and 2500's in the back. This is a total compromise move and I get that.

PROS:

1) Since it is common for many people to run front only BBK's on this platform with no complaints I can assume moving to higher friction front pad is of no detriment to me on stock clampers.

2) I only have to swap one axle worth of pads on track day. Drive to/from track with same set of rear 2500's. Swap the front 2500's the night I arrive at the track.

3) I only have to buy one axle worth of expensive pads. 2500's are half the cost of 1.11 and UNO.

CONS:

1) I have to change pads at the track (front only though)

2) I am spending twice as much money on the front axle for pads, in exchange for more stopping power. This isn't a con, it's just the cost of doing business.

Obviously you know that sticking with Ferodo pads for both track and street means easier swapping due to similar compounds.

Do you remember feeling a large difference between your stock pads and the DS2500s? Im way past the limit of my tires and brakes in just the canyon runs so Im going to a more aggressive tire with the 2500s. Also doing the same as you with DS.UNOs front & 2500s in the rear for track days.