View Single Post
      04-25-2014, 07:57 AM   #56
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcchen View Post
slicer, if you don't mind, could you please share with us your ride height?
Judging by the first picture, if the spring is short enough to have itself and the perch to clear the tire, the height adjustment range (top of the threads) is very minimal. Maybe 20mm max? Switching from 170mm to 140mm spring length, I assume you were able to retain your old ride height? Reason I am curious about your ride height is that some prefer higher while others prefer lower. Reduced adjustability might cause different people to select different spring length to cater for their preference in ride height. Seems like HR makes springs in many different lengths!

Another thing to consider might be the reduced adjustability in height could affect corner balancing the car? Have you corner-balanced it? Or do you plan on doing that?
Good questions.

My ride height prior to the spring swap was approximately 25 1/8" from the ground to the fender. That translated to about 5mm lower than KW's lowest recommended ride height setting. I raised the spring perch by exactly 30mm to correspond with the 30mm shorter spring. That setting cleared but the perch was only 1 to 2mm from the tire. I raised the perch another 5mm to gain more clearance. This resulted in a ride height setting equal to KW's lowest recommended and approximately 25-3/8" fom ground to fender. I had wanted to raise the car slightly so this was ok with me. In order to clear my tires, I can only lower the perch slightly from its current point. I also have about 12mm of upper adjustment remaining. That 12mm wouldn't necessarily translate into 12mm of actual ride height.

I don't really see how any other spring length would work. A shorter spring would run into travel issues (see my earlier posts about travel), and a longer spring wouldn't increase clearance unless you ran at a much higher ride height, or eliminated the KW helper spring, or installed a shorter helper spring.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M

Last edited by slicer; 04-27-2014 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 0