View Single Post
      03-01-2024, 07:43 AM   #18
PaulGros
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
Real world data would disagree with nearly everything mentioned here. Two facts to consider:

-99% of other engines bearings last the life of the engine.
-Everyone who has pulled out BE Bearings (which have increased clearance over stock) after 10s of thousands of miles of use has shown absolutely no wear on the bearings.

So I'm going with no, this paper is completely wrong. No Rod or main bearing should ever have to be replaced as preventative maintenance in any engine.

It's a design flaw, and one that the aftermarket has already fixed.
Sure you're allowed to disagree, that's the beauty of forums and the way we all learn.

I'd be interested in facts to support your argument, and I would also be happy to put your data to MAHLE for comment.

I would ask, if it was a design flaw then why has BMW not issued a recall? Also when the parts moved to lead free with a different manufacturer the same specs appear to have been kept? I don't have access to the Glyco drawing to confirm this, but measurements of OE parts would strongly suggest they are in line.

Regarding the aftermarket fix, I've run average wall thickness data for all bearings in the BE Wiki. If you do the same it will show some interesting results on where they all sit with sizing.
Appreciate 2
Tuner199.00